Monday, October 6, 2008

Helaman, Chapter 16

"These things cannot happen."
"It is not realistic to believe in Christ."
" If he were real, he would......"
"These are foolish and wicked traditions designed to keep you blind and ignorant to the truth."

Do these sound familiar? They are just some of the things the Nephites told themselves to reason away the teachings of Samuel and Nephi. Yet, I've heard conversations like this nearly my whole life, particularly here in Utah among non- or ex-members explaining how misguided and foolish those crazy Mormons are.

Helaman records that Satan stirred the people up to iniquity and spread rumours and contentions in order to harden the people against that which is good. Thus, in spite of miracles and wonders, Satan's hold on the people only got stronger. Only the "most believing" part of the people did not harden their hearts.

This seems to beg the question: Which am I? How am I like the "most believing" or am I one of the others? I listen to conference every six months, but do I put the counsel I hear into practice? I attend church and sit through three hours of meetings every week, but what do I take home with me? A feeling of satisfaction that I am "active?" But what do I do the rest of the week? We don't hold Family Home Evening or family prayer. I go out visiting teaching, but only when my partner has made all the arrangements. Its been ages since I've been to the temple.

The chapter states that angels appeared to "wise men." We need to become wise also. We need to prepare our families for the times ahead. We need to prepare ourselves. Once again, Christ's coming is at hand. Will we be ready?

as always,

Hopeful

No comments: